If you’re a business owner, an entrepreneur, or just someone who needs to print a sign but has no idea what the standard signage sizes are, then you’ve come to the right page. In this blog post, we will guide you in the standard sizes of products at Signs.com, as well as some of their most common uses.
Standard Banner Sizes
Banners are large format signages that are usually made out of mesh, vinyl, and fabric. These signs are suitable for indoor and outdoor use and are portable compared to other types of large signage solutions. They are also easy to install and set up, and are affordable.
Banner sizes vary depending on the location it will be displayed and what it will be used for. Banners that are used outdoors for promotion or advertising should have font types and sizes that can be read even at a distance. For many, the bigger the size, the better chance of grabbing the attention of its audience.
Here are the standard sizes for banners:
- 6′ x 3′ (72″ x 36″)
- 4′ x 2′ (48″ x 24″)
- 8′ x 4′ (96″ x 48″)
- 4′ x 8′ (48″ x 96″)
- 8′ x 10′ (96″ x 120″)
- 4’ x 2’ (48″ x 24″)
- 6’ x 3’ (72″ x 36″)
- 5’ x 10’ (60” x 120”)
What type of banner should I choose?
- More affordable and durable and great for outdoor use (can also be used indoors)
- Matte finish · Comes with grommets and a welded hem
- Tear and weather-resistant
- Same material used for billboards
- Printed using 4-color, UV-resistant ink
- Good choice for indoor use (tradeshows, presentations, etc.)
- Made from a 100% 6.8 oz. polyester
- Printed using dye sublimation
- Alternative to vinyl, good for indoor/outdoor use
- Can be for temporary and permanent purposes
- Has a 70:30 ratio compared to vinyl
- Allows wind to pass through
- Mostly used on chain-link fences
Learn more about standard banner sizes here!
Standard Yard Sign Sizes
Yard signs are signs made out of 4mm corrugated plastic with vertical fluting and are used outdoors. The most common sizes for yard signs are:
- 24″ x 6″
- 24″ x 18″
- 18″ x 12″
- 36″ x 18″
- 2′ x 2′
- 4′ x 4′
Yard Sign Accessories
Aside from the common sizes, there are also different ways to install or prop up yard signs. They can be hung, mounted in frames, or displayed with optional wire stakes. Wire stakes also come in two types: Standard and heavy duty. Standard wire stakes are made out of 9 gauge steel while the heavy duty ones are made of a base of ¼” steel and a welded top of 9 gauge steel. This feature allows heavy-duty stakes to have more support and stability in them.
Other frames that are often used for yard signs are real estate frames and premium A-frames. Real estate frames are installed using optional grommets, rope, or string. These are made for standard 24” x 18” signs and can hold different types of materials. Premium A-frames on the other hand, are typically used as sandwich boards for retail establishments. Washers and screws are also utilized to attach signs on them.
Yard signs can be mounted anywhere and be used for different purposes. Whether it’s for real estate, promotions, events, political campaigns, or conveying political views, yard signs are an effective way to make your message stand out and get recognized. If you’re a candidate running for office for example, you need larger signs that can make people driving or walking by easily read your values and advocacy.
To learn more, find more detailed information on yard sign sizes here.
Standard Aluminum Sign Sizes
Aluminum signs are made of weather-resistant, pre-painted aluminum sheets with a solid polyethylene core and a thickness of .008″ (or 1/13 inch in total). These are printed directly, using a vibrant, UV ink. They’re available in any size or shape here at Signs.com, but they also come in standard sizes such as:
- 12″ x 12”
- 24″ x 6″
- 18″ x 24″
- 2′ x 2′
- 4′ x 4′
Aluminum signs are commonly used for the following applications:
- Street/road signs
- Highway signs
- Speed limit signs
- Parking signs
- Smoking and regulatory signs
- Beware of dog signs
Standard Plastic Sign Sizes
Plastic signs are durable and affordable signs that can be used for both indoor and outdoor purposes. These signs are made of either a 3mm or 6mm PVC plastic, and printed with a UV ink. With proper care and storage, these signs can last for many years. They can also be single or double sided, as well as eco-friendly and recyclable.
The standard sizes of plastic signs are:
- 2″ x 12″
- 24″ x 12″
- 36″ x 18″
- 2′ x 4′
- 4′ x 4′
- 4′ x 8′
Plastic signs have a matte finish, and are used for interior signage, warning, manufacturing, safety, trade shows, etc.
Standard Advertising Flag Sizes
Advertising flags are one of the ways to boost brand visibility and promote a business. They’re portable, durable, and stable enough for the outdoors. They have various shapes, from feather and angled to teardrop and rectangle.
Its standard sizes vary depending on the shape of the flag:
- Feather – 9′, 10.5′, 14′, 18′ (excluding the base height)
- Angled – 9′, 10.5′, 14′, 18′ (including the base height)
- Teardrop – 7′, 9’, 11.2’, 13.5’ (including base height)
- Rectangle – 8.5’, 11.8’, 15’ (including base height)
Standard Event Signage Sizes
Most events are not just limited to one type of product. Whether it’s for an interior or exterior event, different types of products are needed for a venue to look presentable and capture the attention of its target audience.
If you’re planning to hold a conference, trade show, or any other type of event, here’s a quick rundown of the commonly used products and their standard sizes to give you an idea on what to order.
- Pop-up tents – 10′ x 10’, composed of a polyester canopy and a 1.6” aluminum frame. These are waterproof and weather-resistant and ideal for marketing events, trade shows, sporting events, etc.
- Pop-up displays/backdrops – 8′ x 8′ and 10′ x 10′, made of 8.8oz polyester fabric, these are commonly used for trade shows, conventions, and media events.
- Retractable banners – 24″ x 81″ and 33″ x 81″, made of either 13 oz. vinyl or 9 oz. polyester, these are easily expandable and can retract to an aluminum base. Used in trade shows, presentations, conferences, etc.
- Table throws – Also known as table covers. These are available in two different sizes (6’ or 8’), made of 6.8 oz. polyester fabric and are reusable and washable. Used in booths, trade shows, farmers markets, conventions, etc.
- Table runners – widths vary and are measured in 6” increments. Starts from 24” x 90” to 60” x 90”. Can be placed in a vertical or horizontal fashion. Used in trade shows, weddings, and other special events. Find out more about table runner sizing in this post.
Standard Flag Sizes
Flags are made of a 4 oz. polyester material and printed through a dye sublimation process. These are designed for both indoor and outdoor spaces, and are easy to hang or set up with the use of string, clips, or hooks. The standard size is either 3′ x 2′ or 3′ x 5’.
Standard Pole Banner Sizes
Pole banners are signs displayed between two poles on lamp posts. These are usually seen on campuses, boulevards, and main roads. They are printed on an 18 oz. vinyl and used to promote a brand or event.
The standard pole banner sizes are:
- 18” x 36”
- 24” x 36”
- 30” x 36”
Miscellaneous Signs Standard Sizes
Construction signs are signs created to keep workers, passersby, and visitors safe from potential dangers in a construction site. There are various types, including wooden, aluminum, vinyl, rigid plastic, magnets, reflective aluminum, and high adhesive decals.
Wooden signs are one of the most often used construction signs. These are ½” thick high-density fiberboards that are covered in bonded polymer overlay. Long-lasting and weather-resistant, these are an excellent choice for outdoor purposes. While these can be cut into custom shapes and sizes, there are also standard sizes available:
- 12” x 24”
- 24” x 24”
- 2’ x 4’
- 3’ x 5’
- 4’ x 4’
Business signs are signs used for outdoor purposes. These are used to advertise products, increase sales, drive traffic, or display your brand. The standard sizing for business signs depends on the type of product you choose. Whether you prefer banners, yard signs, aluminum signs, or plastic signs to promote your business, Signs.com has the solution to your printing needs.
In general, there are several factors to consider in determining the right size for signages – the location, material, visibility, and even the traffic speed. Here at Signs.com, we understand that your chosen signage is a reflection of your business or brand. Our team of professionals is prepared to help you create signs that meet your business goals. We also have an advanced design tool that will give you a good idea on how to size your custom signs.