Spirit flags are large polyester flags that are typically used during high school or college sporting events - most commonly football games. These flags feature a vertical pole pocket and pole, allowing cheer team members, mascots or others to run the field with the custom spirit flag during timeouts, halftime or pre-game activities.
These flags are also a great way to show school spirit and an excellent addition for any cheerleading squad, mascot or pep rally. Our spirit flags are printed via dye sublimation which means they’ll be durable and reusable for years to come. The design is 100% customizable so you can get the exact look you need for your team or school. Spirit flags can come in a variety of sizes with standard sizes including: 3’x5’, 4’x6’, and 5’x8’. The maximum size we offer is 8' 10" x 8' 10" (106" x 106").
Spirit flags are also commonly called field runner flags, cheer flags or sometimes even referred to as battle flags.
From a 3’x5’ flag up to a 8.5’x8.5’ (actual max size is 106" x 106") we can do any custom size school spirit flag that you need! Not sure what size you need? Contact us and we’ll be happy to get you the size perfect for your school.
Begin by laying your spirit flag out flat. Avoid contact with any sharp or abrasive objects and surfaces that may damage the flag.
Next, assemble your pole (if needed) and gently slide the pole into the pole pocket on the side of the flag.
Your flag is now ready to be displayed or run with across the field.
Before storing your flag make sure that it is clean. If the flag is dirty you may spot clean with a fabric safe detergent
and a non-abrasive cloth. If your flag needs a deeper clean you may machine wash the flag on a delicate cycle in
cold water. Do not bleach your flag as this will cause permanent damage. To dry your flag let it air dry. Drying
machines and irons will damage your flag. To store your flag simply fold it up and store in the bag or a container.
Do not place any objects on top of your flag during storage. If you include a pole and a bag with your purchase, both
the disassembled pole sections and flag (contingent on size) can be stored in the bag.
.75 lbs. per square foot
4 oz. polyester
4 oz. polyester flag with digitally printed, dye sublimated design or image, with a sewn pole pocket for simple display and use. Optional pole set and bag can be added for everything you need to run the field with a custom spirit flag.
Football games, basketball games, spirit assemblies and pep rallies, and other high school and college activities.
4+ years with proper use, care, and storage.
Common Sizes (WxH):
5’x3’, 6’x4’, 8’x5’
Most spirit flags are double sided so that no matter where your fans are seated they can see your school pride. To
order a double sided spirit flag simply select this option on the design tool. If you want a different design
on each side simply upload a different design to the back side of the flag.
Please note that single sided spirit flags will have some transparency to them while double sided flags will not
have any transparency. Double sided flags will also be much heavier than single sided flags.
Get a compatible 1” diameter pole for your spirit flag by adding it during the design process. The set of four 36" pole sections will allow for a 135", 102" or a 69" pole.
These durable aluminum pole sections are connected via a push button and a hole on the respective
male and female ends. Our custom spirit flags come
with 2” pole pockets that work with poles up to 1” in diameter.
Get a reinforced bag that fits all poles ordered with your field runner flag as well as most flags. The bag
comes with easy handles for carrying and is perfect for storing your flag and poles during the off-season.
The bag comes with any purchase of a pole set.
Next Day Production
Order by 5PM EST and we’ll have your spirit flag completed and shipped the next business day.
Free Shipping On Orders Over $75
For spirit flags or orders over $75 your order ships free! *Free shipping
excludes orders with rigid signs over 36" in either dimension.
Award-Winning Customer Service
Winners of numerous customer service awards, our customer experience team keeps you as their number-one priority throughout your entire experience with Signs.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are your spirit flags made of? How thick are they? Do you offer any other thickness or materials?
- Our spirit flags are made of a 4 oz. polyester. This material allows for high resolution printing while maintaining durable and lightweight qualities. We’ve found this to be the best material for spirit flags and don’t offer any other materials for spirit flags at this time.
- What's the difference between a spirit flag and a field runner flag?
- Spirit flags are sometimes called field runner flags; they are the same product. Some other common names for spirit flags are: cheer flags, captain’s flags, spirit runner flags, battle flags, and letter flags. All of these terms describe a flag on a pole with a custom logo and/or team name that is run across the field by a mascot or cheer team member most often during sporting events, particularly high school and college football games.
- Can I get my spirit flag printed double sided? Can I get different designs on each side?
- Yes and yes. Our spirit flags are single sided by default but we do offer double sided flags. If you want your logo or design printed on both sides of your flag you’ll need to select the “Double Sided” option on our design tool. You can then upload the same or a different file to the back side (click on “Show Back Side”) of your flag depending on your preference. The question below provides some more clarity on the differences between single and double sided spirit flags.
- Are there any differences between single and double sided flags that I should be aware of?
- Yes. There are two main differences for single and double sided field runner flags. The first is the transparency of the flag. Single sided flags are far more transparent than double sided flags. Your design will be visible, but not perfectly so, from the back side of the flag. Nonetheless, we’ve seen plenty of high schools and even colleges use single sided flags during football games. Double sided flags are not transparent due to a liner inserted in between the two sides. This liner prevents any bleed through of one design or the other on the opposite side. Please note that this gray liner can make lighter colored flags slightly less true to their color. The difference in transparency between the two flag types can be seen in our image gallery. Further, the white “Highland Rams” pictures on this page are double sided flags. You can see that the gray liner has minimal impact on the white portion of the flag. From a transparency standpoint, it is largely a matter of preference as to what you should choose. Both will look great!
The other consideration is the weight of the flags. Single sided flags will be far lighter than double sided flags. This means they will be easier to run with and fly more smoothly than its double sided counterpart. The latter, due to the liner discussed above, will be heavier and not fly as easily. Though, again, the pictures on this page were double sided and as can be seen the flag still works great!
No matter what you choose we're confident you’ll love your custom field runner flags for years to come!
- I need help designing my spirit flag. Can you help me?
- Absolutely! Our easy to use design tool makes the process of design your spirit flag a simple one. But if you still have trouble or need some help you may take advantage of our free design services. Simply fill out a request form and our design team will reach out to you to get started on your spirit flag design.
- Are double sided spirit flags two pieces of material sewn together or one piece?
- Yes, our double sided flags are made of two separate pieces of 4 oz. polyester that are sewn together. This allows for your spirit flags to be printed with the same design on both sides or different designs for each side. To remove any transparency there is a liner placed in between the two printed sides. The liner is not visible in any way when ordering a double sided flag.
- What printing method do you use for spirit flags?
- We print our spirit flags using a dye sublimation method. Our printing method allows us to print your spirit flags in high resolution so you have a flag that is high quality, durable, and looks exactly the way you want.
- What's the smallest and largest sizes I can get for spirit flags?
- Spirit flags can be ordered in custom sizes between 5’Wx3’H and 8’ 10" W x 8’ 10" H.
- What's the most common size for spirit flags?
- Although you can order your custom spirit flag in any size between 5’Wx3’H and 8’ 10" W x 8’ 10" H the most common sizes for spirit flags are 3’Hx5’W, 4’Hx6’W and 8’Wx5’H.
- What finish do spirit flags have? Do you offer additional finishes?
- Our polyester spirit flags come with a matte finish. We don’t currently offer any other finishes at this time.
- Do your spirit flags come with pole pockets? Are they an additional cost?
- Yes! All of our spirit flags come with pole pockets. The pole pocket is included at no additional cost. The pole pocket runs vertically down the left side of each spirit flag. Our pole pockets are 2” and are compatible with poles up to 1” in diameter.
- Can I get grommets on my spirit flag?
- We don’t offer grommets for our spirit flags. However, a vertical pole pocket is included with each spirit flag. We’ve found that pole pockets are the best and easiest way to use a spirit flag.
- Can I custom cut my spirit flag?
- Our spirit flags are cut in a square or rectangular shape. We don’t currently offer the ability to cut your spirit flag in any other shape.
- Will a pole be included with my spirit flag?
- We offer a 135" pole that is 1” diameter as an optional purchase with your spirit flag. We’ve found that many of our customers like to order replacement flags or already have compatible poles so we offer the pole as an optional add-on to spirit flags. If a pole is selected, you’ll get four 36” pole sections that connect via a push button and can be assembled at varying heights (135", 102", and 69") in seconds. A zippered carrying bag for the pole is also included in the purchase of a pole. To purchase a pole simply select one 135" pole from the accessories option dropdown in our design tool when designing your spirit flag.
- How heavy are spirit flags? How heavy are poles?
- The spirit flags weigh about .075 lbs. per square foot or .45 pounds for a 3’ x 2’ flag. Each pole section weighs approximately .6 pounds.
- Can I print a sports team logo on my spirit flag?
- As per our terms and conditions, you may print anything that you have rights to. You are responsible to make sure you have the proper permissions and/or licenses to the design you have printed on your spirit flag. For any additional questions regarding printing and copyright please see our terms and conditions.
- Can I print my spirit flag with a multicolor design?
- Yes! We allow multicolor designs for our spirit flags. We don’t charge extra for printing in full color. Feel free to design your flag in the colors you want without worrying about any hidden charges.
- Are spirit flags fire resistant?
- Spirit flags are heat resistant and can be used during warm conditions on a hot summer day but are not resistant to fire. Spirit flags should be kept away from fire or open flames.
- Does the pole have a handle? How should I hold it?
- The optional flag pole set don’t come with any handles. Flag poles should be held by gripping the pole itself. Depending on the size of flag, the pole height, and the person(s) running the flag, multiple people may be needed to hold the flag while running or waving it during use.
- How do I assemble or use my spirit flag?
- To assemble your spirit flag begin by unfolding the flag and laying it out flat. Avoid laying the flag on a sharp or abrasive surface that could damage the flag material. If your flag has wrinkles you may remove them with a household fabric steamer. Do not iron the flag as this will damage the flag material. After assembling the pole sections with the push buttons, gently insert your flag pole into the pole pocket on the left side of the flag. Avoid pushing the flag pole into the pocket quickly to prevent the pole from snagging on the fabric and causing damage. Within a minute or two you’ll be ready to have your team’s logo and colors run across your field!
- How do I set up my flag pole?
- If you purchased the optional pole set during your purchase you will need to connect the pole sections before inserting them into your spirit flag. To connect your pole begin by taking two pole sections and connecting them together with opposite pole ends coming together. To complete the connection you will need to push in the button on one pole section and insert it into the other pole section until the pin pops out of the pre-drilled hole on that pole section. These buttons help secure the sections together for a durable, rigid, spirit flag pole. Complete this process with any additional pole sections until you've reached the desired pole length.
- Is there anything to keep the flag attached to the pole?
- Each flag comes with a pole pocket that is closed at the top on the side of the flag. The pole is inserted into the pole pocket. We’ve found this to be sufficient to use a spirit flag and have the flag stay on the flagpole during use.
- Are spirit flags weather resistant? Will they fade in the sun?
- Our spirit flags are made from a durable weather resistant polyester. This material allows for spirit flags to be used during football games where there may be inclement weather like rain or snow. This material dries quickly and should be cleaned and air dried when it becomes wet or dirty in poor weather conditions. Spirit flags should be taken indoors when not in use. As with any material, extended use in the direct sunlight can cause some fading. Nonetheless, we’re confident you’ll be able to use your flag on a regular basis at football games for years to come. Proper care of your spirit flag will increase its lifespan.
- How long will my spirit flag last?
- Spirit flags are intended to have a lifespan of 4+ years provided proper care, maintenance, and storage.
- My spirit flag is wrinkled. Can I remove the wrinkles?
- Yes! Your spirit flag may get some wrinkles during storage or travel. To remove these wrinkles use a household fabric steamer. These can be purchased online or at your local home goods store. Fabric steamers are the only way that wrinkles should be removed from spirit flags. Do not use an iron on your spirit flag as it will cause permanent damage.
- How do I clean my spirit flag?
- During use your spirit flag may get dirty. To clean your spirit flag you may spot clean with a color safe fabric detergent, cold water, and a non-abrasive cloth. If your flag needs deeper cleaning you may use a machine washer on a delicate or low cycle with cold water. Wash the flag alone and not with other fabric. Let the material air dry by hanging your flag. Do not use a machine dryer as this will cause damage to your spirit flag.
- Are spirit flags machine washable?
- Yes! Our spirit flags are machine washable. To wash your spirit flag in a washing machine, wash the flag alone, and place the machine into a delicate cycle with cold water. Use a color safe fabric detergent. To dry your flag, hang it up and let it air dry. Do not use heat or a dryer as this will damage your flag.
- How do I store my spirit flag while not in use?
- Before storing your spirit flag be sure that the material is clean. After the material has been cleaned you should fold the flag material. After the flag has been folded you should place the flag in a box or container out of harm. Avoid placing anything on top of your spirit flag. Be sure that the spirit flag is not in contact with anything sharp or abrasive. Sharp objects may tear or snag the flag material. Spirit flags should be kept in cool, dry environments. Keep your spirit flag out of weather elements or sunlight during storage.
- What are some common uses for spirit flags?
- Spirit flags are typically used in conjunction with our breakaway banners. Together these signs make gameday a little more festive. Spirit flags are a great way to boost school spirit and pump up a crowd at a football or basketball game. These flags work great for both high school and college sporting events as they are run up and down or across the field or court. They may also be used for other sporting events or festivities including pep rallies, spirit assemblies and more.
- Can I use my spirit flags in both warm and cold temperatures?
- Yes! Spirit flags are perfect to use in both warm and cold temperatures.
- Can I use my spirit flag indoors and outdoors?
- Yes! You may use a spirit flag both indoors and outdoors. One thing to consider when using a spirit flag is the size of the flag and the space needed to run around waving it. Be sure that you have adequate space for you to use a spirit flag both indoors and outdoors.
- Will the flag fly off during use?
- We design our spirit flags and their pole pockets to withstand running and waving during football games and other sporting events. While others may feature a grommet or crimped end of the flag, we feel the closed pole pocket provides the ultimate in flexibility, easy assembly and functionality during games.
- Will the pole bend or break during use?
- Our optional flag pole set is made from a 1” diameter aluminum. The assembled pole is designed to be lightweight but durable and rigid. Provided that they’ve been properly put together you don’t need to worry about them bending or breaking during normal use. Avoid leaning or putting the pole under pressure outside of its normal use to prevent possible permanent damage.
- Does running with a spirit flag require more than one person?
- That depends! You may need the help of another person to use a spirit flag based on your height and strength as well as factoring in the height and size of your spirit flag. Further, double sided flags will be heavier than single sided flags. Your specific situation will determine whether more than one person is needed to run or wave your spirit flag.