Our plastic signs are the perfect combination of performance, affordability, and versatility. Designed to be durable enough to be used outdoors, yet an affordable alternative to our more rigid signs (see below), these signs can last for years with the proper care and storage. Fabricated from naturally-occurring plastic compounds, these matte finish signs can be used for interior or exterior applications as directional signage, architectural signage, real estate signage, trade show signage, giant checks and more.
Plastic signs are great for mounting against a wall, hanging outside a storefront, and a variety of other display options. Our plastic signs can be contour cut to virtually any shape, be single or double sided, are eco-friendly and recyclable, and are best suited for larger signs and fonts.
With different materials, thicknesses, rigidity, cost, and end uses it can be difficult to know which sign is best for you.
Use this quick primer on rigid signs to make sure you’re getting the sign best suited to your needs. On mobile devices, scroll right to see the entire table.
*Rigidity graded on a scale of 1-5 with 5 representing the most rigid material. Rigidity is rated relative only to the other
materials in the comparison table.
**Pricing based on a single-sided 12”x12” sign with default options included.
Plastic Signs Features
Get affordable and versatile signage for a fraction of the cost of other more rigid signage options.
Inside or outside your plastic signs can last for years to come with proper care and maintenance
Because our plastic signs are made of materials that derive from naturally occurring organic compounds, they are both eco-friendly and fully recyclable.
Printed full color with UV ink your custom plastic signs will have vibrant designs that showcase your brand and business.
From 4” x 4” to 48” x 96” and anything in between, choose the custom size right for you!
For the clearest printing we recommend signs greater than 12”x12” and a font size of at least 22pt. Signs will look their best from 4 or more feet away.
Your sign will be cut as a standard square or rectangle at the size you have selected.
The sharp corners of your sign will be rounded off (at either a 1/4" or 1" radius) for a safe, clean look.
Your sign will be cut to a custom shape to match your design.
Custom with Border
Your sign will be cut to a custom shape, leaving a border of material around the edges.
.47lbs per square foot (about the weight of 5 Snickers Bars)
3 mm (.12”) (about the thickness of 30 sheets of copy paper)
6 mm (.24”) (about the thickness of 60 sheets of copy paper).
Made of a naturally-occurring organic compound, lightweight yet super durable.
Indoor/Outdoor. Directional, architectural, presentations, facility signage, parking, etc.
Four color process, eco-friendly, weather, fade and abrasion resistant UV ink
5+ years with proper placement and care
Common Sizes (WxH):
12"x12", 24"x12", 36"x18", 2'x4', 4'x4', 4'x8'
Hang your custom plastic sign using rope, string, or bungees. To attach them to a substrate, use screws with washers, or nuts and bolts if attaching to poles. These signs can also be used on easels for temporary displays.
Our plastic signs can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth and a mild soap. If your signs are installed outside, clean them regularly. If possible, install them in areas that get limited direct sunlight and wind. Depending on the size of your signs, store them flat and in a non-weight bearing fashion to avoid bending and breaking.
Next Day Production
Order by 5PM EST and we’ll have your plastic signs completed and shipped the very next day.
Free Shipping over $75*
For signs or orders over $75 your order ships free!
*Excludes rigid signs over 36" in either dimension. Contiguous US only.
Award-Winning Customer Service
Winners of numerous customer service awards, our customer experience team keeps you as their number-one priority throughout your entire experience with Signs.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are plastic signs made of?
- Our plastic signs are an acid-free, closed-cell, expanded plastic, high-density made of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a type plastic that comes from naturally occurring organic compounds. It is a hard plastic but is simultaneously eco friendly and can be recycled. So not only can you buy an affordable exterior plastic sign but you can rest assured it’s environmentally friendly.
- How thick is your plastic? Do you offer different thickness options?
By default, our plastic signs are 3 mm (.11”) thick. This grade will be thick enough for most outdoor contexts, and is a great, low-cost alternative material. For harsher conditions, consider the 6 mm (.24”) thick plastic as an option on the design tool, or opt for one of our aluminum signs. For even further durability in our plastic signs, we offer 13mm (.51”) plastic, available as a custom order, by contacting us to place an order.
- Are your plastic signs suited for outdoors?
- Yes, our plastic signs can be used outdoors. They are printed with weather, fade and abrasion resistant UV ink. So, regardless of the climate these signs should endure the outdoors well. Further, while they are typically used for outdoor purposes they can also be used in a variety of ways indoors.
- Will my plastic signs fade or scratch?
- When properly cared for, our UV ink ensures that your printed design will not fade nor scratch. The estimated lifespan
is 5+ years with proper care but continued and constant exposure to the elements (direct sunlight, wind, rain)
can shorten this lifespan. Further, contact with a sharp object can scratch or damage the sign itself.
- Will my plastic sign bend?
- It’s important to note there is some flexibility with your plastic sign. The larger the sign is, the more pliable it will feel, though it’s nearly impossible to snap the signs. So, the pliability of your sign should not cause problems in everyday usage. Even for larger signs proper mounting should ensure that the sign will not bend or break. If you are looking for more extreme rigidity, we recommend using an aluminum or wooden sign or contacting us to discuss our 13mm thick option.
- Why does shipping cost so much if you offer free shipping?
While we offer free shipping on all orders over $75, the exception is rigid signs (such as plastic ones) that
have either dimension greater than 36”. Rigid signs with a dimension over 36” require additional
packaging care and oftentimes require being shipped via freight shipping. Thus, costs for shipping such signs
can go up significantly. Unfortunately, it is a shipping industry rule of thumb and there are no alternative
options to ship such large signs.
- Can I just drill my own holes?
- Absolutely. If you wish to drill your own holes you are welcome to do so and can ignore selecting this option while
checking out online. Though if you drill your own holes in your signs than we are unable to offer a guarantee,
return or refund as a result of any damage caused while drilling the holes. For those wishing to drill their
own holes any standard drill should work.
- I need holes drilled in custom locations / Can I get more than four drilled holes?
- Yes, you can for an additional cost. Select the “Custom” option within the “Drilled Holes”
dropdown in the design tool and let us know that you need more than 4 holes, or holes in specific locations,
by filling out the customer comments field on the checkout page. Like any other option this custom request will
incur a small charge.
- What sizes do you offer? Are there minimum or maximum dimensions my sign has to adhere to?
- Your plastic signs can be any of our standard sizes offered (12"x12", 24"x12", 36"x18", 2'x4', 4'x4', 4'x8') or any
custom or personalized size you might need. You can select a custom size on the design tool by deselecting the
link dimensions icon. After doing so your sign simply needs to be no smaller than 4"x4" and no bigger than 48"x96".
These are the minimum and maximum sizes respectively for any plastic sign you choose to design.
- What is the lifespan of your plastic signs?
- With proper care and maintenance your plastic sign can last 5 or more years. With outdoor placement in which the
sign will be constantly exposed to the elements, especially if the elements are harshly cold or hot, the lifespan
may be shortened.
- Will my design mean the sign will cost more? / Does 1 color printing reduce the cost?
- Because we print all of our signs in full color there are no additional costs for printing in any colors you choose.
Thus, anything you wish to include on your sign in regards to design will cost the same. The cost of your plastic
sign will be dictated by its size, how many you order, options selected, shipping and applicable taxes.
- Do you offer double sided plastic signs?
- Yes. Any sign, including those cut to shape, can be double sided. Simply select the doubled sided option when designing
your plastic sign. To design the back of your sign, click on the “Back Side” button located underneath
the design area of the design tool. This button will appear once you’ve selected “2 Sides Different”
from the “Printed Sides” option.
- Can I get my plastic signs routed into specific shapes?
- Yes! There are several different shape options to choose from for your plastic sign, including Square/Rectangle, Rounded Corners (¼” or 1” radius), Circle/Oval, Custom or Custom with Border.
The Custom shape option (previously known, or sometimes referred to, as Contour Cut) allows you to either upload a custom shape to our design tool or have us create a custom shape for your sign based off of your design. The Custom with Border shape option (previously known, or sometimes referred to, as as Halo Cut) is similar to the Custom shape option but will leave a small border around the edge of your design.
There are limitations on how small such cuts can be. Designs or letters that are cut to shape can be no smaller than ½” thick at any point of the design. Any smaller than ½” thick makes the sign too susceptible to breaking.
- Do your plastic signs have a matte or gloss finish?
- Our plastic signs have a satin finish. In general the material is smooth but doesn’t have a glossy or shiny
- Do you print onto the plastic or is there a piece of vinyl overlay?
- For all of our plastic signs, we print directly onto the surface of the material. Our UV and eco friendly ink is fade
and abrasion resistant. Printing directly onto the surface of the sign is more effective and longer-lasting than
printing onto vinyl which is subsequently applied to the plastic. This process also eliminates the hassle of ensuring the vinyl has been applied correctly
onto the plastic.
- What the default color of the plastic?
- The plastic signs offered on the website are by default white. We print directly onto the white plastic to make your
- Do you offer engraved plastic signs?
- No, we do not offer engraving, molding, or embossing on our plastic signs. All of our signs have your design printed
directly onto the surface of the plastic.
- What can the plastic signs be used for?
- Our plastic signs can be used for many of the same uses as our other exterior signs, dibond and aluminum, are used
for. This includes property management, real estate, directional, publicly administered parks and trails, safety,
regulatory and even surveillance signs. They also work great for the exterior of businesses and even in rural
residential settings as an affordable yet durable signage solution. Interior options include point of purchase
(POP) displays, trade show signage and more.
- Can your plastic signs be used with metal frames?
- Yes, our plastic signs could be used in a metal or wooden frame. Though for either of these options we would recommend
a metal alternative. We currently do not sell any frames.
- How do I install my plastic signs / Where can I post my sign?
- Installing a plastic sign is very easy. In most cases selecting drilled holes and using screws or bolts and washers
will be the easiest way to mount your sign. If you’ve selected drilled holes in your sign you can mount
your sign to any surface you can penetrate with your screw or bolt. Your plastic signs can also be hung with
some kind of string, rope or bungee cord. Likewise, for indoor uses they could be temporarily set on an easel
or other similar display frame. Further, adhesive or glue could be purchased in order to post the sign. For outdoor
use we recommend selecting drilled holes and posting it to a sturdy rigid surface.
- How do I wash my plastic sign?
- You can wash your sign with a non-abrasive wet cloth or rag. For a more thorough cleaning you can use a mild detergent.
Regular cleaning will keep your sign looking crisp and clear for the duration of the sign.
- How do I store my plastic signs?
- Your plastic signs can be stored flat in any cool, dry room. Simply store them at room temperature and avoid any
rooms or storage places that have extremes in cold, heat or humidity.